Admitidlty, I am just now returning from a five-year hiatus away from the AK world, but I still think this is awesome news. K-Var is now selling AK-47 patterned rifles built at the Molot factory in Russia. Obviously due to legal issues, these rifles can’t be imported as pictured – they most likely came in as preassembled parts, sporting versions of VEPR rifles or even pistols and then legally reassembled into traditional fighting rifles.
The specifications state that there are enough US-made parts to use whatever flavor of magazine you prefer. I’m assuming that the ATF 922-r compliant parts include new a trigger group and furniture, but if you plan on making substantive changes, it wouldn’t hurt to clarify with K-Var, although they should be prominently marked.
Otherwise, these rifles look like solid performers at reasonable prices.
Now available for pre-order!
Product will ship as it arrives.
Built on the same standard as the RPK style machine guns, Vepr is 50% more reinforced than a standard, stamped AK rifle. Each rifle has been manufactured using state of the art technology, effectively creating a heavier duty piece that will last through not just a lifetime but for many generations to come. The RPK-style barrels are hammer forged and chrome lined using techniques that make them four to five times stronger than a standard AK barrel, which makes them with substantially extended service life over other types of assemblies.
Vepr AK rifle in 7.62x39mm caliber, 16.5-in barrel, stamped receiver, chrome lined hammer forged barrel, removable muzzle nut with 14x1mm left-hand threads, 1000 meter sight leaf with adjustable windage, Cleaning Kit and Cleaning Rod, black polymer furniture, Warsaw length buttstock with hidden compartment for cleaning kit, shipped with one 5-rd magazine, 922(r) compliant with US or foreign made magazines.
- For the first time ever true factory Molot AK-47 style rifle in the US market
- Heavy RPK-style hammer forged chrome lined barrel
- RPK-style 1.5mm stamped receiver
- RPK-style trunnion block
- RPK-style ribbed polymer handguards with stainless steel heat shield
- Polymer original Warsaw length buttstock with cleaning kit trap door
- Windage adjustable 1000m rear sight leaf
- Scope mount side rail
- Accepts all mil-spec double-stack AK-47 7.62x39mm magazines
- 14x1mm left-hand muzzle thread
- 922r compliant with foreign made magazines
- Caliber: 7.62×39
- Operating System: Semi-Auto, long stroke gas system
- Breech Type: 2 lug rotating bolt
- Magazine Type: Detachable double stack magazine
- Weight with 5-rd magazine: 8 lbs
- Overall Length: 34.75″
- Width: 2.9″
- Height (w/o mag.): 7.8″
- Barrel Length: 16.5″
- Rifling: 4 groove RH twist, 9.4″
- Twist rate: 1 in 240 mm
- Weight w/o Magazine: 7.8 lbs (3.54 kg)
- Muzzle Velocity: 710 m/s
- Effective Range: 400 m
- Maximum Range: 1350 m
- Rate of Fire: 40 rds/min (practical)
- Sight Leaf: 1000 m
K-Var Corporation – http://www.k-var.com/
4235 W. POST RD.
LAS VEGAS, NEVADA 89118
Tel.: 1 702 364 8880
Fax: 1 702 307 2303